Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Last Night in Castries

Yesterday was very uneventful.  It was our last day to work on our presentations for the Health Ministry, so I spent almost the entire day working on my PowerPoint.  I did take a few study breaks though.  Griffin and I had a picnic on the veranda for lunch.  We have been trying to finish all the food we bought, so our meals have been really random.  For example, Monday night we had mashed potatoes and mac and cheese! The irony of doing research about healthy diets while eating instant potatoes and boxed Velveeta macaroni and cheese was not lost on us, don’t worry!  We did pretty well at lunch though! We had to finish our vegetables and our meat, so I had a turkey, tomato, lettuce, cucumber and ranch sandwich on a pita with some carrots on the side and Griffin had a salad.  Oh, we did finish up one bag of Munchies, though.  It can’t all be healthy!

That evening we had some more Icicles with Rianna and Kijahna out on the porch.  Kijahna told us all about a game she had to play at school that day called netball.  Honestly, to me it sounds like a mix between basketball and quiddich.  All I know is that there are no nets involved.  These two girls crack me up though.  They are both so smart and they give these faces that look just like the faces their mom makes.  I’m sure they would hate to hear that, but I think it’s wonderful.  Poor Janna has been so sick.  She has had a sore throat for days and ended up going to the clinic last night and staying for hours.  I guess they sent her home with some antibiotics, but she is still having to take a lot of pain meds.  We gave her our remaining Icicle today.  It was her favorite flavor, and maybe it’ll numb her throat up some!

This morning was a bit of a frenzy.  I had my PowerPoint completed, but Lekei and Ursula were still working on theirs.  At 11:30 we met with Dr. Hansen to make sure we were all on the right track, and then we had until 2 PM to get everything finished and be ready to leave.  Poor Lekei was in our room until 1:30 trying to finish her presentation up.  She alternated between typing furiously, mumbling to herself, and praying to God that she would get everything finished on time. Thankfully for our presentation, her prayers were answered.  Ursula also got her part done, and we made it out to the van almost on time.

I thought there were going to be a lot of strangers at the presentation, but it turned out to all be familiar faces!  Lisa was there with all of her staff members: Mary Anna and Melva from our time in Castries and Francillia and Nisa from our time in Soufriére.  A room full of friendly faces lightened the pressure considerably.  The presentation itself was over child obesity prevalence and evidence based solutions.  Lisa and her staff are working hard at teaching children how to eat healthy and we wanted to give them even more tools to add to their arsenal.  I started the presentation with a broad overview about childhood obesity in the Caribbean.  Ursula presented several successful physical activity interventions from the US that could be altered to fit the Saint Lucian culture.  Finally, Lekei presented one nutritional intervention from the US as well as some dietary guidelines that could be put into school policy.  Lisa said that we had some good ideas and she is particularly excited about some of the interventions that Lekei and Ursula presented.  We left the PowerPoint with them so they can use it as they see fit.

Then the goodbyes started.  It is too sad to think that I may never see these women again, so I refuse to entertain the idea.  I will simply have to stay in touch and come back to Saint Lucia someday!  I was especially sad to say goodbye to Mary Anna.  She is such a wonderful woman, and I really think that Griffin and I bonded with her during our time together.  She gave me a big hug and her email address.  Hopefully, I will stay in touch with her.  After our goodbyes we headed across the street to the market so Griffin and Dr. Hansen could do some last minute shopping.  Many of the shops were already closed for the day, but we managed to find everything we needed. 

After we had finished shopping Lucius picked us up and took us to pick up some food at the Rodney Bay mall.  I got some Subway.  It was tasty, but fast food isn’t the same on island time.  Everything took so much longer than I’m used too!  Eventually we all got our food and hopped back on the van to go home where we said goodbye to Lucius.  I fit in a quick skype date with mom and then everyone gathered in our room to have a little going away party.  You see, Lekei is staying in Castries until she flies home on Monday and the rest of us are going to Vieux Fort in the morning, so this was our last night all together.  Ursula made us tomato rice, which is a Nigerian dish, and we all pooled the remnants of our food together to make an eclectic little spread.  We also did our best to finish the rum!

After dinner, Rianna and Kijahna came up to play cards with us.  Well, Ursula took a little nap on the couch, but the rest of us played a few hands of cards.  Rianna came up first, so I taught her how to play War.  When Kijahna joined us, Lekei taught us all how to play Crazy 8’s.  She wiped the floor with us on the first round, so Kijahna and Rianna decided to teach us how to play a game called Donkey.  It’s basically like spoons, but you try to match suits, not numbers.  The last person to lay their hand on the table after the first person has matching suits gets a D.  You continue on until someone has enough letters to spell out donkey.  Usually, the loser has to give everyone who played a ride, but since Dr. Hansen lost, we just let Rianna do the honors. 

It was such a fun night.  I’m going to be so sad to say goodbye to the Leons, especially those two girls.  I really feel like I made some friends during my time here.  I’m going to do my best to convince my family to come stay at the Summer’s Inn if we stay in Castries for one night.  Abi has to get to know these girls.  If I love them so much she’s going to be head over heels.  Also, Sunday is Richardson’s birthday and Janna wants to go celebrate at Coconut Bay! We are going to exchange emails so she can let me know if they are coming.  Hopefully they do, because I am dreading saying goodbye in the morning. I love traveling and meeting new people, but it just makes saying goodbye so hard.  On the bright side, my family will soon be here to cheer me up.  I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment