Monday, December 16, 2013

This Life Certainly Doesn’t Suck

The last few days have been very relaxing. My family made it to Saint Lucia safe and sound at about 4:30 Sunday afternoon.  We got checked in and got settled before dinner at Coconut Walk, the resort’s main restaurant.  Coconut Walk is set up basically like a college dinning center.  You walk in, get sat, and then you go around to different stations to get food made for you, or there are lots of dishes in hot pans to choose from.  The only difference is that the food is WAY better.  We’ve had a lot of good stuff, but the red snapper and the freshly blended fruit smoothies are probably my favorite so far.  For those of you who go on cruises with us, Dad has started calling Coconut Walk the Windjammer.  Actually, this whole all-inclusive resort thing is very reminiscent of a cruise.  All the food and drinks are free, you can only eat at certain times, you have to make good friends with the bartenders (So far Joker is our favorite bartender), and you plan excursions through a desk in the lobby.  Sound familiar to anyone else?

We went to sleep early on Sunday night and then woke up early the next morning.  Mom went for a walk and got bunch of really pretty pictures of the resort and the beach.  Then she and I went to the gym and got in a quick workout.  Breakfast was at Coconut Walk and then we all changed into our swimsuits to go sit out at the beach.  It has been crazy windy here the last few days.  I asked someone and they said it is usually windy, but not THIS windy.  We felt like we were getting sand blasted on the beach.  It was still really nice, though, and, hey, my skin is really smooth!  The water is a nice temperature, but is very choppy due to the wind. It has also been sprinkling off and on, but nothing bad enough to keep us inside.  Around lunch time I took a break from the sun and had a chat with Aaron over Skype.  Then we had lunch at Bites Beach Grill out by the pools. 

That afternoon we moved to the lounge chairs by the main pool.  It doesn’t seem very busy here.  I’m surprised, but it’s nice to be able to have our pick of the chairs. After a while we hit up the swim up bar and then made our way to the small water park on the resort. The only attractions are two water slides and a lazy river, but what else do you need, really?  We had a lot of fun floating and sliding, and then we headed over to the adult-only swimming pool for the rest of the afternoon.  They have these really nice beds with some shade cover and some lounge chairs that you can turn to face the sun, so we took advantage of those.  Then it was shower time and dinner at Coconut Walk.

After dinner we hung out at the bar for a bit.  Mom and I tried some top shelf Saint Lucian rum called Admiral Rodney’s.  It was a dark rum and was so good I think I could have had it straight.  We also watched an acapella group from Stanford University called Everyday People perform.  We have seen them twice now, and they are very good!  Mom says it’s like watching show choir without the show.  They are going to be around the whole week, so I’m sure we’ll see them perform again.  After a while we wondered down to the beach.  The tide was out and the moon was full, so it was very pleasant to walk along in the surf.  We walked for a while and Abi, Dad, and I did some races (I was the fastest, but Dad ran the farthest, Abi just complained about her feet and the fact that it wasn’t a track. Lame :P).  Overall it was a very nice evening.

This morning Abi and I woke up early to go do yoga.  Apparently yoga is popular, though.  The class was too full and the instructor asked us to come back the next day.  No big deal.  We had breakfast and then Mom and Dad went to book some excursions for us.  It’s going to be a busy week!  Tomorrow morning we’re going snorkeling at a couple different beaches.  Thursday we’re going on an island tour that includes a lot of time in Soufriere and lunch at the Beacon.  Friday we’re going zip lining in the Pitons! I’m very excited about that.  We are also planning on going to Mom’s favorite beach in Jalousie, just south of Soufriere, on Wednesday.  That pretty much fills up our whole vacation.

Since we’re going to be busy for the rest of our vacation, Mom, Abi, and I decided to go to the spa today.  I got a half hour back and shoulder massage.  It was amazing.  Shakira, my masseuse, got out some serious knots in my shoulders where I get tense when I’m stressed.  I feel wonderfully loose now.  After my massage, Shakira gave me a pedicure.  Now I can post a picture of my pretty feet in the surf!  Mom got a massage and body scrub combo and Abi got a massage and a facial. We are all so relaxed and pretty now.  The rest of the day we will just be relaxing at the pool or on the beach.  I can’t wait to tell you all about our excursions.  Keep an eye out for more posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment